Seniors’ Tax Credit for Increased Municipal Taxes
The Québec government has established a subsidy program to support seniors who are facing an increase in their tax bill due to a higher than average increase in their property value. The amount of the subsidy may be up to $500. You may be eligible for this subsidy if you meet the following conditions:
- You were 65 or more on December 31, 2021
- Your family income for 2021 does not exceed $54,700
- You have owned the property for at least 15 consecutive years
- You live in a building with just one dwelling that is your principal residence
- Your residence has increased in value at least 7.5% more than the average increase for single-dwelling buildings in the municipality; for the Canton of Hatley, the percentage increase required for the subsidy is 13.74%.