Fire prevention visits
Following the coming into force of the Safety Cover Plan for fire protection, the Municipality of Canton de Hatley has the obligation to proceed with fire prevention visits of every residence, business and industry on its territory.
To do so, the Municipality mandated the firm GPI to heighten the people’s awareness of the risks of fire, to remind them of customary advice and to observe abnormalities. The preventionists from the firm GPI, when they will come for the visit, will be easily identified.
Points of interest during a prevention visit are the following:
- Smoke detectors: the smoke detectors are required by municipal law. During the fire prevention visit, all smoke detectors will be verified.
- Carbon monoxide detectors: the sources of carbon monoxide being numerous, it is recommended to install some carbon monoxide detectors.
- Electrical installations: many fires can be avoided by a few simple precautions, proper installation and the safe use of electrical appliances.
- Heating appliances: fires caused by heating appliances are often the result of inadequate or improper installation, or a lack of maintenance of the heating system or chimney.
- Other verifications like smoking paraphernalia, fire extinguishers, propane and the storage of flammable products, cooking appliances.
The entire municipality is visited over a 5 year period.
You will find much information concerning Public security on the Ministère de la Sécurité publique web site.
The municipality of Canton de Hatley has an agreement with the Canadian Red Cross for humanitarian assistance to people in cases of emergencies and disasters. The cost for the municipality is $0.15 per capita. In 2014, the cost to municipality was $410. Red Cross services include:
– a 24 hour 7 day alert system and call center
– human resources (volunteers) to help organize and dispense services to people affected by disasters
– material resources (cots, blankets, pillows, hygiene kits) when disasters hit
How to become a Red Cross volunteer
You may complete an application online (French Only) or download the application form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1 877 356-3226.
Canton de Hatley is covered by two fire protection organizations:
In January 2018, the Régie intermunicipale de prévention et de protection incendie Memphrémagog Est was created. It currently serves 10 municipalities on the territory’s of the MRC de Magog and Coaticook: Hatley, Hatley Township, North Hatley, St. Catherine de Hatley, Ayer’s Cliff, Stanstead, Stanstead Township, Stanstead East, Ogden, Barnston West
The Régie is also:
? 4 Stations (North Hatley, Stanstead Township, Ayer’s Cliff and Stanstead)
? 1 full time director ? 4 battalion chiefs in part-time operations
? 100 firefighters and officers on call
To join us: Phone: 819-838-5877 ext. 204
Director: Éric Richard
Érablière, chemin de l’
Hatley Acres, chemin de
Hatley Centre, chemin de
Jackson Heights, rue
Lac, chemin du
Méandres, rue des
Minton Hill, chemin
Sommet Gardner, chemin du
Université, chemin de l’
2) Le service de protection contre les incendies de la ville de Sherbrooke protects the northern part of the municipality.
Boisé, rue du
Cèdres, rue des
Chaumière, rue de la
Chêne-Rouge, rue du
Écuyer, rue de l’
Haskell Hill, chemin
Manège, rue du
Parc, rue du
Perdrière, rue de la
Ritournelle, rue de la
Sellier, rue du
Canton de Hatley is covered by the Sûreté du Québec.
40, rue Don Bosco Sud
Emergency : 310-4141
Information : 819 572-6072
Collect calls are accepted for residents of Canton de Hatley (in necessary).
Opening hours :
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to friday