Thinking of running as a candidate?
The ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) offers a comprehensive guide to citizens who would like to run for municipal elections. Entitled Pourquoi pas vous?, the guide contains a wealth of information that will help you in your decision-making.
1. Be 18 years of age or over on November 7, 2021;
2. Be a Canadian citizen on September 1, 2021;
3. Not be under curatorship on September 1, 2021;
4. Not to have been convicted or convicted of a corrupt electoral practice since August 31, 2016;
5. Not be in a situation of ineligibility due to employment (eg, election officer, municipal employee or municipal employee) or violation of the laws of Quebec or Canada;
6. a) Be domiciled in the territory of the municipality on September 1, 2021 and in Quebec for at least six months on that same date;
b) Be the owner of a building or the occupant of a business establishment located in the territory of the municipality for at least 1 year on September 1, 2021 (e.g .: being chalet owner)
7. Reside in the territory of the municipality, continuously or not, for at least one year on September 1, 2021.
It is your responsibility to verify whether you meet the eligibility requirements for a position as a member of the council of your municipality. For any additional questions, you can contact the returning officer.
Déclaration of candidacy
If you want to stand as a candidate in the 2021 municipal elections and you meet the eligibility conditions set out in the Act respecting elections and referendums in municipalities, you must submit a duly completed nomination form to the returning officer between September 17 and October 1, no later than 4:30 pm. The declaration of election of a candidate is an official form that you can obtain at the office of the returning officer of your municipality.
Je me présente
The ministère des Affaires municipales wants to encourage the population to get involved in municipal politics. To do this, it has put online a website rich in information for people who want to know more:
Documentation for applicants
Presentation of the MAMH concerning the role and functioning of the municipal council and other relevant information:
Click here to download the presentation
Welcome and reference guide for elected municipal officials:
Election calendar 2021:
For any questions regarding the nomination procedure, please contact the returning officer:
Returning officer for the Canton of Hatley
Ms. Kyanne Ste-Marie
819-842-2977 ext 124
Requirements to be a voter?
To qualify as a voter, you must:
- be 18 years old on polling day
On September 1 of the year of the general election or, in a by-election, the date of publication of the notice of election:
- be a Canadian citizen;
- not be subject to curatorship;
- not be convicted of an offense that constitutes a corrupt electoral practice.
And on that same date (September 1 or the date of publication of the notice of election), you must meet one of the following two conditions:
- be domiciled in the municipality and, for at least six months, in Quebec;
• be, for at least 12 months, the owner of a building or the occupant of a business establishment located in the territory of the municipality.
The elector not domiciled in the municipality, but owner of a building or occupant of a business establishment located in the territory of the municipality must send a form to the municipality asking to add his name to the list of electors.
The co-owners of a building or co-occupants of a business establishment must designate among themselves, by means of a power of attorney sent to the municipality, a single person who can be entered on the electoral list.
A letter was sent in April 2021 by the returning officer to all those who could apply for registration on the list of electors as a non-domiciled voter. If you have not received it or have any questions, please contact Ms. Annie Deshaies, election clerk by email at [email protected].
The sole owners of a building and the sole occupants of a business establishment entitled to be registered on the municipal list of electors must complete a Registration Application (form SMR-9.2).
The undivided co-owners of an immovable and the co-occupants of a business establishment must designate the person who will be entered on the municipal list of electors, by means of a Power of Attorney (SMR-9.1 form) signed by the majority of them.
The registration request or proxy, duly completed and signed, must be received at the municipal office no later than October 3, 2021. Registration requests and proxies received after this date will be processed by the board of revisors. After the revision period, it is no longer possible to register on the voters list for the general election on November 7.
To vote in an election
To vote in an election, you must be registered on the list of electors and present one of the following pieces of identification:
- Quebec health insurance card
- Quebec driver’s license
- Canadian passport
- certificate of Indian status
- Canadian Forces identity card
It is suggested that you bring your voter registration notice card received by mail.
If you would like to be part of the electoral staff for the municipal election of November 7, 2021, or for any questions relating to the election, please contact the election clerk:
Election clerk for the Canton of Hatley
Ms. Annie Deshaies
819 842-2977 ext 122